Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Mel Miller's Big Fat Comedy Show

Mel Miller's Big Fat Comedy Show came to the Old Mutual Theatre on the Square for one night only on the 10th of October 2011. Before my Kids Pull the Plug was sold out at the Sydney Opera house in Australia and after last night's performance I can see why. Mel Miller is the official Godfather of South African comedy. At 68yrs old he is as relevant and in tune with the current affairs of South Africa as the younger comedians and I think it's safe to say that he is  probably funnier than some of them. The only way to describe this comedian's set is blunt and brutal honesty. Controversial and edgy he just tells it like it is. I have never gasped and hung my jaw so many times in one hour like I did when I was watching his show. He touched on a variety of subjects from SA's current state of politics to the typical stereotypes of different ethnicities, races and cultures. He makes jokes about EVERYONE and no one is safe from his sharp tongue. Sensitive and politically correct people would probably call him a big fat old bigot but the fact that he was arrested by the police during apartheid for his anti government jokes shows that he will poke fun and critique anyone or anything. He made jokes about himself, his wife, his family and his culture and for me that shows that he is a comedian who is feels that nothing is out of bounds and that any and everything can be made fun of. He has had countless sold out shows in his fruitful 40 year career locally and abroad and has made thousands of people laugh to death and get angry as hell. I hope he does more local shows and I strongly believe that these younger comedians can take a laugh...I mean a leaf out of his book.

No comments:

Post a Comment